Saturday, July 4, 2009

Interview with Erotica author, Darren Michaels





Tonight our special guest is Darren Michaels





Darren has written a book title Flipside-Erotica. He tells 12 stories in the male POV and then turns around and tells the same 12 stories in the females perspective. He has said some of these stories are based on real-life experiences and some are purely fictional, and some are incidents that happened, but he added to them.





1). First, could you tell us what you are currently working on forpublication or about your current release? I am currently working on Vol. 2 of Flipside Erotica--Both Sides of the Story



2). Could you please tell us a little about yourself? I live in Phoenix, and currently have a day job but would love to be a full time writer. This is my first book, but I have been getting some great responses, so I think I am onto something with this idea. I am adding friends on Facebook every day, and have a distributor for adult book stores that is very excited about my book, and doing well with it already. My website is a work in process; I want to add audiobooks for each story for download.


3). Give us a sneak peek into the book? (mentioned above)I get ideas for the stories for my book from my own life, and each story has a measure of true to it. Sometimes they are all true, sometimes it is just the character I based the story around is the only real part. I write both the male and female perspective of each story, and have a few people who review the work for "accuracy" on the female side. The average story is about 7 pages long; and half of the stories in the book are true.




4). Tell us about your writing process? Do you outline or just startwriting? I typically write an entire story in one sitting, and then review and revise a little after letting it sit for a day or two. Since some of the stories are true encounters, I write while the details are very fresh in my mind. If the story is a fabrication, then I can sort of write in in pieces and spread the writing out over a few days.



5). What genre is your favorite to write? Read? So far I have written only this book in the erotica genre, but would like to expand if I had more time. I read lots of different categories. I like everything from Carlos Castaneda to Malcolm Gladwell.




6). Do you have any favorite authors?
I do not have anyone that I specifically follow, but read as much as I can focusing mostly on informational vs. entertainment


7). Is there a genre you haven't written, but would love to tackle in thefuture? I have a great idea (i think) for a series of books that would be fictional adventure with some sex thrown in for good measure. Given the time, I would definitely pursue this.




8). What's planned next for your writing career? I want to be able to write full time and free my schedule to do as I please each and every day. I would travel a lot more so do more "research" for stories. :-)




9). Do you work well with deadlines? yes, I do not mind having a little pressure




10). When did you first start writing? I wrote my first erotic story about 10 years ago, basically on a bet. I was dating someone who read a steamy scene to me from a book she had just bought. She didn't think I could do it, so I tried to prove her wrong. I did pretty well for my first try and thus the story (of my writing career) began.




11). What influenced you to submit your work for publication? As I began collecting stories and finally gained the courage to show people, I received a lot of encouragement to compile a book.




12). Do you belong to a critique group? If so-how does this help you? Ifnot-would you ever consider joining one-if not- why do you think you workbetter alone? I have my own group of people to proof read and be sure I am representing the female side correctly and believeably. I think you would have to have people to bounce ideas off of. My group are avid readers of this genre, but not writers themselves.




13). What is the best way for readers to contact you? Through my facebook page or on my website at www.flipside-erotica.com on the contact page.




14). Any advice you want to give to aspiring writers? Go for it! Be diligent, disciplined, and get a critique group to keep you on track. And if you need help, ask someone!




15). Anything you wish to add?Since this book seems to be an almost completely new approach to this genre, I hope it is well recieved. The idea is to show that:

--Men have no idea what women are thinking

--Once in a while we guess right. :-)

--Turn her brain on, and her body will follow :-)




Thanks!!!

Darren Michaels

No comments:

Post a Comment