Saturday, September 19, 2009

Please Welcome Author Jae Knight


Welcome Jae, and thanks for joining us today. Please tell us your latest news!

I do not have any upcoming releases just yet, but I am working on a third installment in my series, Tenebrae. The first two books are already out and available for purchase at Phaze.com.

When and why did you begin writing?

I began to write when I was fifteen years old. I started out writing poetry and eventually moved on to short stories, attempting my first novel in my senior year of high school. My best friend would always write these incredibly dark poems and I envied that ability.  If it hadn't been for her encouragement, I don't know how long it would have taken me to find my passion                                                  for writing.

What books have influenced your life most?

This is a particularly tough question.  I love books and reading is my all-time favorite activity (other than writing, naturally). Reading always inspires me and gets the creative juices flowing. My favorite book is The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux. But lately, I've been influenced by reading lots of manga.

What are your current projects?

I am currently working on the third novel in my erotic paranormal  series,  Tenebrae.  It picks up where Surrender to the Night left off and answers some of the questions I left to  readers at the conclusion of the story. I am really looking forward to completing the book so I can move forward with the rest of the series. I have a number of other stories in progress right now , some of which I am trying new things that I hope go over well.  Including some dark horror shorts.

Is there anything particularly challenging in your writing?

Motivation.  At times I tend to procrastinate and stray from my writing.  Keeping myself on track is definitely the hardest battle that I have yet to win.

Who is your favorite author, and what is it that strikes you about their work?

I'd have to say Sherrilyn Kenyon. She just really did a great job on taking old legends (like vampires and shifters) and completely rewriting them into something unique and endlessly fascinating. That is something I admire and would like to be able to accomplish myself.

When did you realize you wanted to be a writer?

I was a senior in high school and had just shifted from short stories to trying out my first novel. Creating characters and plots was so much fun, even though it took a lot of work and imagination to do so. I carried a notebook with me everywhere (and still do!) so that I could write whenever I felt the need or had an idea to jot down.  It was like finding what I'd been meant to do when I first picked up that pen and began to write a story.

How long does it take you to write a book?

Oh my,...it can take me anywhere from a year to three years ( for a 10k+ novel at least). From the Shadows, the first in my series, took me three years to write because of how many changes the characters and plotline went through.  My world just kept expanding and evolving so I had to rewrite often. I don't regret it though.  I'm quite proud of the world I managed to create.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

Heck, never organized.  I guess you could say I don't even have a schedule, really. I just sit down when I feel creative, reread a few paragraphs to get back into the scene and start writing. I usually always edit what I've written once I stop for the day.  Then edit again once the story is finished.

Do you have any strange handwriting habits? Like capitalizing all your "r"s or dotting your "i"s with hearts or anything like that?

My handwriting changes as I write and gets hard to read which is why I prefer typing out my stories than writing them by hand.  It's an odd mix of calligraphy-esque lettering and sharp, jagged lines.

What do you want to know about the future?

I'd like to know how far my career as a writer will go.  It's a dangerous since what I would learn might make or break my motivation. I'd still be determined to write, to try, however.  I am a writer through and through. Can't imagine devoting as much passion to another career as this.

Are you a morning person or a night person?

I am a night person all the way.  I feel the most creative in the wee morning hours, say three to seven a.m. My mind has always been more active by night, which makes for some interesting dreams...some of which have inspired poems or stories.

Do you like thunderstorms?

Depends on the severity.  I like lightning, rain and thunder, but when the high winds kick in...I begin to get nervous, admittedly. Although a soft, rumbling thunderstorm is very relaxing.

What is the best way for readers to contact you?

There are quite a few ways to contact me.
By email: jadedjae@yahoo.com
Myspace: www.myspace.com/jaeknight
Twitter: http://twitter.com/JaeKnight
Blogger: http://authorjaeknight.blogspot.com/
Deviantart: http://jae-knight.devaiantart.com/

Anything  you would like to add?

Sure! I've also had two stories in the Coming Together Anthologies.  Unchained Heart is a part of Coming Together: At Last, Volume 2 (which benefits Amnesty International) and Hailey's Comet was in Coming Together: Al Fresco (which benefits Conservation International). I'd also like to thank Mistress Bella for interviewing me and the readers, for giving the world I love a chance to entertain you.

Thank you Jae, for giving us a peek into the world of a successful writer.  We'll all be looking forward to the third installment of Tenebrae and all of your future works!

No comments:

Post a Comment