Friday, October 30, 2009

Please Help Us Welcome B.J. McCall

1) First, could you start by telling us what you are currently working on for publication and/or about your current release?

In October I will have two paranormal ebooks released. Embrace Forever is a futuristic tale about Jastra, a condemned female who is sentenced to life as a sex slave on the vampire prison planet of Draco, and her vampire master, Dauthus.
Embrace Forever will be published by Ellora’s Cave. Heartfire is the futuristic love story between a vampire who saves a shape-shifter, female dragon from the auction block. Changeling Press is the publisher of Heartfire.

December brings a Christmas werewolf tale titled Canine Call. The ebook will be part of the multi-author, short paranormal series, Holiday Howlz published by Changeling Press.

2) Could you please tell us a little about yourself?

Born in West Virginia, I live on the beautiful Central Coast of California. I’m an avid reader of all genres and have recently taken up the hobby of stargazing. I love the Central Coast’s mild weather and enjoy taking long walks. Daily I walk to the shore, looking for dolphins, whales, otters and sea lions.

I am multi-published in paranormal, sci-fi and contemporary genres, both in ebook and print. I currently write for four publishers: Ellora’s Cave, Changeling Press, Red Sage and Cobblestone Press.

3) Give us a sneak peak into your current release

My most recent release was Dark Obsession, the third story in my sci-fi Cosmic Cops series. Cosmic Cops is the nickname for the Galactic Enforcement Agency and the officers of the GEA don’t like it, but they have to live with it. The three stories in the series are about different members of the GEA.

Book One, Dark Ecstasy is Captain Isabet Renard’s story and Book Two, Dark Pleasures is about Lt. Sada Prentiss.

In Dark Obsession my Cosmic Cop is Captain Riva Vix.

Paradise Resort on Solis 6 is neutral terrain for Cosmic Cop, Riva Vix and professional thief, Landis Eden. For Riva, Landis is a dark obsession and she has one hard and fast rule, Landis can’t operate in her territory, Ryel.

Landis loves Riva and he wants more than a few stolen hours in Paradise. When the Galactic Intelligence Agency offers Landis a full pardon if he will steal a formula, Landis jumps at the chance to end his life of crime. But freedom comes with a perilous price. The operation is covert and the target is in Ryel.

All three books are available from Changeling Press and Fictionwise.

4) Tell us about your writing process. Do you outline or just start writing?

Often, I write a synopsis, but sometimes I just start writing to get the scene or the first chapter down while the idea is fresh. I may not get back to the story for days or weeks, but the genesis for the story is there.

I try to write daily and at times I will have several works-in-progress. Deadlines do dictate my writing schedule.


5) What genre is your favorite to write? Read?

I really enjoy writing paranormal and sci-fi with heroes and heroines who are vampires, werewolves, angels and warriors. I’ve often mixed paranormal and sci-fi together, creating vampire planets, shape-shifter warriors and celestial warriors.

I also love cop stories and have written both contemporary and futuristic cop heroes/heroines.

6) Favorite authors?

I enjoy a variety of genres and authors. I read Anne Stuart, Linda Howard, Janet Evanovich, and Tami Hoag. Has anyone not read at least one Nora Roberts?

Recent authors on the national scene and two of my very favorites are Angela Knight and Kate Douglas. Both are wonderful writers.

I read Michael Creighton, James Patterson, Vince Flynn and Dan Brown.

A dear friend, Emily Brightwell writes Victorian murder mysteries. I love all her books.

7) Is there a genre you haven't written, but would love to tackle in the future?

I’ve dipped my toe into magic in Knight’s Emerald and into urban fantasy, Earthly Pleasures, Jewels of the Nile I. The genres are exciting and I plan to write more warrior stories. I love the classic clash between good and evil.

8) What influenced you to submit your work for publication?

I had always wanted to write, but receiving a phone call from a high school friend inspired me. I hadn’t spoken to my friend in some time and her call telling me she’d written a romance novel and was soon to be published challenged me to starting writing the first chapter. After finishing that unpublished book, I was hooked.
I was rejected many times and sold my first story, Undercover Love, to Secrets, published by Red Sage. Ever so often I have an editor reject a story, but I revise and resubmit. Writing demands perseverance.

9) What gets you in the writing mood? Music, reading, etc.


Reading a good book inspires me to pick up my laptop and get back to work.

I love to write when it’s quiet and there aren’t any distractions. I do my best work when I am alone and the TV, etc. is off. I think my desire for quiet evolved from habits began in my early days of writing. I had a day job and I got up at 4AM to write for two to three hours before going to work. Over the years I have learned to cope with noise, but I love having the house to myself.

10) Any advice you want to give aspiring writers?

Just do it! If you want to write you must get the ideas out of your head and onto the page. Write a complete story, length does not matter, but write the beginning, the middle and an ending. Don’t stop at two or three chapters. Finish the book and you will learn from the experience.

Take classes, get critique partners, and enter contests. You need people to tell you what doesn’t work in your manuscript.

I like having my books reviewed and I appreciate the criticism as well as the praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment