Monday, August 31, 2009

Interview with Author KB Alan

First let me start by saying...K.B. Alan you have one SEXY cover for your latest release.

Hello and Welcome K.B. Alan to Mistress Bella Interviews

First, could you start by telling us what you are currently working on for publication and/or about your current release?

I’ve just released a werewolf story with Ellora’s Cave, which I’m pretty excited about, called Alpha Turned. Hillary was attacked four years ago and turned into a werewolf. Since then she’s ignored that aspect of herself, until she meets Zach, Alpha of the local pack. She learns that there are some definite perks to giving into that forbidden side of herself—not least of which is Zach himself.

Could you please tell us a little about yourself?

I discovered ebooks and erotic romance a few years ago and haven’t looked back since. I was inspired to pick up my old writing habit and see if I could write the kinds of hot stories I was enjoying so much. I have a regular 9-5 job but I live by myself, so I like to go home and immerse myself either in one of my stories, one of my favorite writers’, or with someone that I’m just discovering. Occasionally I let me friends drag me out of the house, though, I swear!

Tell us about your writing process. Do you outline or just start writing?

I admit, I’m a pantser. I usually start out with a couple of characters and some situation that they find themselves in, and go from there. It takes a bit of working with the characters to find out what it is that’s going on with and around them that warrants giving them their own story.



What genre is your favorite to write? Read?

This is sort of a problem for me, actually. I love to read so many different genres, and I’m finding that I love to write them all, as well. I have a contemporary ménage a trios out, a werewolf paranormal, and in progress are another contemporary, a fae who doesn’t quite understand what he’s gotten himself into hooking up with an intriguing but maddening human, a BDSM story involving a mage, and a sci-fi plot bunny that keeps hopping around in my head trying to get my attention. Not exactly the best method for finding a genre and sticking to it, but I’ve never been accused of being simple!

Is there a genre you haven't written, but would love to tackle in the future?

At some point I’m going to see if I can write a romance that I’m willing to let my father read! I don’t know though, my characters seem pretty intent on their hot sex, it may be a while before I find a couple that are willing to tone it down that much!


When did you first start writing?

I wrote all through high school and college, then let it go. Every so often I had the urge, but rarely wrote, until I finally bought a home computer. Then I just sat down and started writing as if I’d never stopped.


What influenced you to submit your work for publication?

The biggest influence was Ellora’s Cave. The fact that I was reading something new to me (erotic romance) and enjoying it so much. Eventually, when I got a computer, I wanted to write the kind of book I’d been reading, but I told myself I didn’t have to submit it, that I could decide once it was finished. But I started doing research on epublishers and when the time came, it was just the next obvious step to send it in. I figured nobody knew who I was and if they hated it, nobody would have to know. I’ve actually found it a lot harder to submit now that people know what I’m doing, but every time I get a positive reader email, it makes it easier.



What gets you in the writing mood? Music, reading, etc.

If I’m at home, I don’t write to music (which is weird, to me, but there it is). Occasionally I’ll turn on a classic station, which I know nothing about, just to get some noise in the apartment. If I’m out and about, I can listen to whatever background noise/music is going on and usually tune it out.

To get in the mood to write, I read and then start thinking about my own characters and what they want. A lot of that happens when I’m going to sleep or just waking up. Sometimes, on the weekend, I’ll think I’m going to take a nap, but then I start plotting, and five minutes later, I’m back at the computer.


Do you belong to a critique group? If so, how has this helped your writing, would you recommend it to others? If not, would you consider joining, if not, why do you like to work alone?

I do think it’s important to have someone that you trust to give you an honest opinion read your work before you send it out. You don’t have to take all of their advice, but you should stop and think about it. The truth is, I think those groups are actually better for you from the other side. I learn a lot by reading other peoples stories and trying to figure out why certain things work for me and other things don’t. Unlike some people, though, I have a really hard time sending out partials of my work. I would rather wait until it’s finished and I’ve gone over it a couple of times myself before letting anyone see it. I know some people can work on more of a chapter by chapter basis, but I’m never sure if my chapter is going to stay that way, so I would rather wait.


What does your family think of your writing?

My family and friends have been super supportive. I didn’t tell a single person what I was doing until I’d received a revise and resubmit on my first book, Perfect Formation, and submitted the revised story to my editor. After about a week of waiting, I broke and two of my friends, one at work, one when we were out having cocktails. Both were excited for me and when I got the acceptance they were thrilled and told everyone we know, including my coworkers. Not one person was anything less than super excited and supportive, so that was amazing. I called my parents who are both big readers and were amazed when I told them I’d written a book and it was going to be published. Then I told them that it was erotic and they weren’t allowed to read it, lol. I’ve actually just given my mom my second book to read, but I’m trying not to think about that too much!

What is the best way for readers to contact you?

I love to hear from my readers! I have a contact form on my website or they can email me at
kb at kbalan.com. I’m also on twitter as kb_alan and facebook as KB Alan.

Any advice you want to give aspiring writers?

You’ve probably heard it a hundred times before, but the best advice I know, is keep writing and keep reading.

Thank you so much K.B. for stopping buy.

Visit K.B. Alan's Website

Buy Alpha Turned by K.B. Alan

Buy Perfect Formation by K.B. Alan

1 comment:

  1. K.B. Alan couldn't get her computer to allow her to comment so I am posting this on her behalf.

    "Thanks for having me" ~K.B. Alan~

    ReplyDelete