Monday, August 10, 2009

Welcome Author Chelle Hicks!



First, could you start by telling us what you are currently working on for publication and/or about your current release?

No More Than Friends is a short story being published by the Wild Rose Press due out August 12, 2009.
Britney and Quinton have been friends since college and they aren’t sure if they missed their window of opportunity to have something more. Doing a favor for Q leaves Brit wanting to try.
It’s short and sweet and hot.

Where are you from?

I’m from Baltimore. I once told a friend of mine that and he got all excited and said “Like The Wire? I love that show.” But alas I had to burst his bubble. I was raised in Baltimore County, not city. And it was very un-Wire like. I think the biggest things I miss about B-more are the bagels and crab cakes! Now we live in Southern Virginia.

Are experiences from the story based on someone you know, or events in your own life?

I think you’re trying to get me in trouble with this one! Well let’s see, my hubby and I did meet in college and we did go to HU (Hampton University not Howard) But I think that’s where the similarities stop. But hmm, the shower scene does give me a few ideas.

What book are you reading now?

OOOH!!! I love reading. I don’t drink. I don’t gamble. But my one vice is READING!!!! My name is Chelle and I’m a bookaholic. I just got off a really bad reading binge. I devoured all the Sookie Stackhouse Mysteries by Charlaine Harris (she rocks) in about a week and a half (all nine!) Looooved them! I gave myself these horrible reading hangovers where I’ll stay up to 1, 2 sometimes even 3 in the morning reading ‘just one more chapter.’ And what did I do as soon as I woke- take a bit more of the hair of the dog that bit me- and start reading again. Then rush to Target (they were on sale there) to buy the next one!

What was the hardest part of writing your book?
Revising!!!! When I write it’s usually because a story spins into my head and I love to get swept away in telling it. Seeing where it’s going. It’s like reading a really good book and I just have to find out what’s going to happen because I don’t know. So once I’ve finished the first draft, I know what happened. Fun’s over. Revising is where the work begins. I even started a new blog www.iheartrevisions.blogspot.com to help me gripe and offer support to others as I trek through learning how to not only enjoy this part of the process but to learn how to handle it more effectively.

Do you belong to a critique group? If so, how has this helped your writing, would you recommend it to others? If not, would you consider joining, if not, why do you like to work alone?

Currently, I do belong to a critique group: ERAuthors http://www.erauthors.org/. Before I belonged to another on line critique group called Critique Circle. I think one of the ways critique groups have helped me, is the whole twig/log analogy from the Bible. It’s so much easier to point out the twig in someone else’s eye (writing) than notice the log jutting out of my own eye (writing.) The more I point out others, helps me to see them clearer in my own writing.
Also, I have met some really wonderful writers who I enjoy bouncing ideas around with as well as sometimes it’s hard to really see the problems with a piece because I’m too close. I also really like helping others with their stories.

What animal do you think makes the best pet and why?

My beagle! He rocks. Yes, he howls and chews up everything in sight (he’s gotten much better though.) He has such a sweet temperament and still is a good guard dog. He’ll flop down at my feet when I’m writing and keeps me company.

Are you a morning person or a night person?

I’m such a morning person! I love getting up early to write or read. It’s one of the very few times in my house that it’s actually quiet. With three kids, a hubby, and the before mentioned beagle, it can get pretty loud most other times. So the early morning hours are MY time and I cherish them.

Have you ever cried during a movie? If yes, which one and why?

One of my other favorite things to do, aside from reading myself silly, is crying at movies! I love a good cry. One of my favorite lines from a movie is from Steel Magnolias (I can watch ten minutes of this movie and start boo-hooing) is “laughter through tears is my favorite emotion.” And it is so true. I love being brought to tears then something so funny happens you can’t help by laugh out loud. Happy endings or sad endings , I love ‘em all.

What is your favorite pizza?

Pepperoni pizza from a place down in Virginia Beach. Yum, nice and greasy. The ironic thing about pizza is I never even tasted it until I went to college at 18! Seriously. No, I wasn’t raised by aliens. I’m a super picky eater. I mean I’m horrible. Really, my friends hate ordering food with me whenever we go out for lunch. So as a child I refused to even taste pizza. I remember in fifth grade I skipped a day of school because we were going to have a pizza party. Now, my kids would starve (well not really but, close) if we didn’t eat pizza at least once a week.

Can you taste the difference between Pepsi and Coke? If so, which do you prefer?

I so can! And I can’t stand Coke! Back to the whole picky thing, I can tell the difference in a sip. Oh and Pepsi from 7-11 tastes the best!

Any advice you want to give aspiring writers?

Write, read, critique others writing. Study craft and tell the stories that only you can tell. Sometimes you think “oh, people have read about this before.” But maybe not the way you’re going to tell it. No one has your voice. Find it and help it to shine.

Thank you so much for allowing me this chance to talk about writing and my story.

You can buy Chelle's book, No More Than Friends HERE!
Visit Chelle's website HERE!

2 comments:

  1. That's a wonderful interview and great advice for writers.

    However *coughs politely* diet coke beats pepsi any day. :-)

    Cherise
    www.cherisesinclair.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chelle, I love your blog. Great interview.

    ali
    www.a-katz.com

    ReplyDelete