Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Today We Welcome Author Teresa Roberts


Hello, Teresa!  Welcome to Mistress Bella Interviews.  Would you share with us your latest news?

I have a new book out from Samhain Publishing today! It's called Lions' Pride (Duals and Donovan: The Different, Book 1) and  it's an erotic paranormal with a witch heroine who specializes in green magic and sex magic and not one but two hot feline shapeshifter heroes a lion and a cougar.  Here's the blurb:

Elissa Donovan is a real green witch - when she and her lion-shapeshifter husband have sex, the blazing heat is recycled to warm their house.  Now her beloved Jude has been kidnapped by a shadowy government agency, and the last place she can turn for help is her high-powered family, who consider her magic mediocre.

When Rafe Benedict gets Elissa's call for muscle to back up her magic, he risks his law enforcement career to answer.  He's spent a lifetime hiding his Dual ability, but something about Elissa and Jude's magic awakens the cougar within him.

Tempting, bronzed Rafe is the perfect fuse for Elissa's sex-fueled magic.  Danger lies in breaking her vows; joining with anyone other than her true mate could not only send her marriage up in flames,  it could burn out her powers in a last, all-or-nothing explosion.  But Jude is worth the risk.  And for Rafe, potential heartbreak is nothing next to the chance to help the two people he's coming to love.

First, though, Rafe needs a crash course in Cougar...

When and why did you begin writing?

To answer that, I'd need to remember a time in my life when I wasn't wriring or at least playing with words. I grew up surrounded by omivorous readers, though I didn't learn to read especially early - the books my mother and grandmother read to me, such as Shakespeare and The Sword in the Stone, were far more interesting than books aimed at beginning readers!  I suppose it was only natural I started telling my own stories.

What  books have influenced your life most?

Wow, big question.  Considering what I write now, I'd say an early-70s Gothic romance with ghosts and a heroine in peril must have influenced me.  I have no idea who wrote it, but it's one of the first books I remember reading.  I was six or so.  Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights were other books I read early on. (Yes, my mother was an English teacher. Why do you ask? :) ) I think you see where I get my bent for dramatic paranormals.  But I also love Jane Austin, so my books alway have a sense of humor.

Another book that influenced hugely as a kid and still haunts me today is Louisa May Alcott's Little Women, with its determined young writer heroine. Okay, she ends up getting discouraged from writing her generation's equivalent of naughty paranormals.  but hey, she got redirected by her appropriate hero- the ookish one who was wise enought o realize she was writing for the market instead of telling her stories,- so I guess that's okay.

What are your current projects?

I'm working on another Duals and Donovans book.  It's not a direct sequel to Lions' Pride, but it is in the same world.  It involves a male Donovan witch, his fox dual husband, and a kitsune (that's a Japanese fox spirit whose other form is a lovely woman) who's under a curse and needs their help.  I'm also working on another installment of my Seasons of Sorania series for Phaze and two contemporary sexy comedies with my fabulous co-author under the pseudonym Sophie Mouette.  Plus I write short erotica.

And work four days a week.  And have a huge garden. I'm a busy lady, but it's all fun. (Well, except the day job.)

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?

the hardest part for me is often making time, but I imagine that's true for many writers who also have outside jobs and occasionally want to indulge in their hobbies or see their friends.

Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

Haven't you figured out by now that I don't like to pick just one? (That's why I gave my heroine two hunky heroes!) My favorite authors shift regularly, but I'l name a few I'm loving right now: Morgan Hawke for her smoking, no-holds-barred sex and intriguing settings; Eloisa James for her unusual characters (I adore Jemma, the seemingly frivolous duchess who's also the best chess player in England) and highly literate writing; Lynn Flewelling for taking some of the well-known paradigms of of heroic fantasy and creating something fresh and intriguing; Guy Gavriel Kay for writing for writing like an angel and creating characters who break my heart so beautifully; Jijm Butcher and Patricia Briggs for being my current favorite urban fantasy writers.  and Jane Austin, just because I'm an English teacher's daughter, after all.

When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

The last time I visited my Mom, she'd unearthed a bunch of my old shcool papers.  It first turns up as a stated ambition in about fourth grade, but I was already writing long before the.  she had poems and min-stories I "wrote" by dictating them to her at age five.

How long does it take you to write a book?

I'm not a fast writer, although when I'm really focused I can write a lot in a day.  It took about a year to write Lions' Pride. Mind you, I wrote a dozen short stories, a novella or two, revised a co-authored novel and started another one in that time as well.

What do you want to know about the future?

Selfishly, I want to know if my books are remembered. 

Less selfishly, I want to look into the future and find out what we finally come up with as a clean post-fossil-fuel energy solution so we can start using it now. (Or, heck, since I'm already time-travelling, start using it thirty years ago and save us a lot of pollution).

Are you a morning person or a night person?

Night, definitely, although if you can get me up early, I enjoy the stillness and beauty, particularly near the ocean.

Do you like thunderstorms?

Big weather turns me on.  Sometimes my husband and I go to the beach in inclement weather to watch a thunderstorm over the ocean.  We've also been known to rent waterfront hotel rooms during blizzards and bad nor'easters.

What is the best way for readers to contact you?

Email is probably best, at teresanoelleroberts@comcast.net. You can also add me on Facebook - send a message to say you're a reader - or check out my website, http://www.teresanoelleroberts.com/. Be warned, it's still under construction.  I need to find a
picture of a sexy guy in a hard hat to put up...if only to embarrass my shy male web designer.

Anything you'd like to add?

Haven't I rambled enough?  :) Oh, hope you like the book and if you do, tell your friends!

You haven't rambled at all! (In fact, I can't wait to see your sexy hard hat guy as soon as you find him  and I'm trying to figure out how to get my hubby down by the ocean for the next storm!)

Thanks again and good luck with all of your books!

No comments:

Post a Comment