Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Please Welcome Darren Michaels

Hi Darren,


1).  Tell us your latest news?
I am excited to announce that my book will soon be available in adult book stores around the country!  Major chains such as Fascinations, Castle Megastore and some of the Adam & Eve stores are already carrying my book, and more stores are ordering as we speak.  I am so happy to have written a book with such cross over appeal that it fits books both mainstream book stores and also adult book stores as well.


2).  When and why did you begin writing?
I actually wrote my first story almost on a dare.  I was dating someone who called me one night after reading a new book she had just purchased.  She wanted to read this hot, steamy scene to me and so I went to her house.  I was really surprised at what she read to me; it was far more rough than I had pictured it being.  I guess I had an image of a knight on a white horse rescuing a princess and making love to her in a field of daisies.  Warped, I know.  Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised.  But I was also intrigued and thought that could Write something similar.  She of course did not believe me, so we made a bet (I wont say what it was  ;-)   A week later I turned in my homework and thus the story begins…..


3).  Tell us a little about Flipside Erotica, how did you come up with the idea to write your story in such a different way?
As a creative exercise I wanted to see if I could write a story from the other point of view, so I gave it a shot.  When I was done, I was pretty happy with the results.  I started showing it to some female friends of mine, and no one believed that I had written it.  I figured that was a good sign.


4).  We see many more Romance/Erotica writers that are women than men.  How has your experience been as a man writing in this genre?
I think it is a huge marketing advantage to be a male writer in a female dominated genre.  Assuming my work is good enough, I think it would help it stand out even more since I have a different outlook on this topic.  Also, it lends an entirely different twist to author appearances and book signings.  Being a reasonably attractive guy who writes deliciously erotic stories seems to be quite a turn on for some of my “fans”  It also helps me do more “research” for more stories in future books  J


5).  Darren, you write half the book from the woman’s viewpoint, what was it like to look at things from our side?
I seem to be able to click into that part of my brain fairly easily.  I am a total sappy romantic at heart, so I try to use that mindset when writing from the female perspective.  When I started out, I wrote from the man’s point of view and then “translated it”  to the other perspective.  Now I can easily flip back and forth or even start on the female side and write the whole story  and then translate it to the male side.


6). What was the biggest challenge in writing your stories?
Trying to make sure I am not too repetitive with my verbiage or scenes.  Since half of the stories are true, I write them as they happened.  At times I find that I do follow a certain routine in a sexual encounter, so I need to mix things up on the pages and in the bedroom.


7).  When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
Just now, doing this interview  J   Seriously though I have been writing these types of stories for a long time.  I wrote an erotic poem for my high school english teacher…she was hot.


8).  How long does it take you to write a book?
Once I decided to get serious about it I had already complied a fair amount of stories, so it only took about 8 months to compile, edit and finish out stories to have a book completed.



9).  What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
At the moment I have the luxury of writing only when I feel like it.  I have only self imposed deadlines since I am self published.  I do want to have book 2 ready early next year, so I am trying to be in a writing mood more often these days.


10) What other projects are you currently working on?
At the moment my main writing focus is Volume 2 of Flipside Erotica

11).  What do you want to know about the future?
If I will be killed by a love crazed stalker I my sleep.  And if I will make enough money to retire and fly fish the world.
12).  Are you a morning person or a night person?
Night person…definitely a night person  The only good thing about morning is that it is over by lunchtime.
13).  Do you like thunderstorms?
No…I love thunderstorms.  Especially here in AZ where we have really cool Monsoon thunderstorms with phenomenal lighting storms.  Very cool.
14).  What is the best way for readers to contact you?  Email, myspace, twitter,
etc?
Please sign up as a friend and fan on Facebook and follow me on twitter at twitter.com/flipsideerotica.  I always love to hear from people via email at Darren@flipside-erotica.com or through my website contact page www.flipside-erotica.com

15).  Anything you would like to add?
This interview was fun and I hope it shed a little light on the guy behind the book.  I appreciate the opportunity you have provided me by adding me to your website and “exposing me” to your readers.  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment