Sunday, November 15, 2009

Today We Welcome Kelly Abell



1).  Tell us your latest news?
I have a book that was released by Hearts On Fire Books in August 2009.  It is a paranormal romance for young adults.  The title is Haunted Destiny and it is a chilling tale of trapped ghosts, evil spirits, and the only girl who can see them.

2).  When and why did you begin writing?
I wrote short stories back in high school but I seriously began writing novels in the late ‘90s.  I was having a conversation with one of my employees one day about wanting to write a book.  We were discussing one book in particular that I wanted to buy on writing.  The next day that employee brought me a Barnes and Noble gift card and told me to buy that book and start writing.  I was speechless.  So I wouldn’t let him down that is exactly what I did.  The rest is history! 


3).  What are your current projects?
I am currently working on a romantic thriller under the working title Captured In Lies.  It is the sequel to my first novel Sealed In Lies.  It’s going to be a blast!

4).  Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
I can usually come up with great beginnings and endings but it’s that flabby middle that snags me every time.  I am not much of an outliner so I find myself getting a little stuck in the middle of the book and sometimes the characters want to “hijack the bus”, but I usually get around it by doing short chapter outlines until I make it to the end.


5). Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?
I love Nora Roberts.  I think her characters are so real and so deep.  I have participated in discussions on various forums where readers talk about her characters like they are real people.  They get mad at them and hate them.  It’s really cool.  I want my characters to be that real to my readers.

6).  When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
This is a fun question.  When I was in high school I would sit in my room for hours and write stories.  I wrote a series of stories about some teens that went to West Side High School.  Hmmm… maybe I should resurrect that series and wipe the dust off!
7).  How long does it take you to write a book?
Usually about 6 months.  If I’m really focused and can write every day for a few hours I could get it done sooner than that, but with my day job, the distraction of two teenagers and a husband it usually takes longer.

8).  What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
I usually write for an hour or so every evening.  With two teenagers involved in sports and drama it limits my time.  I usually try to get some good solid time in on Sundays.
9).  Are you a morning person or a night person?
I am definitely a morning person.  I get a lot of ideas around 4 a.m. and wake up to the notebook I keep beside my bed.  If I didn’t work a day job I would probably write from 5 or 6 in the morning straight through till noon.
10).  Do you like thunderstorms?
I love thunderstorms.  I’ve always liked them.  They are so humbling aren’t they?  We really are small creatures in the scheme of things.  Having lived through two hurricanes you learn to really respect nature.
11).  What is the best way for readers to contact you?  Email, myspace, twitter, etc?
You can reach me on my website www.kellyabellbooks.com
You can purchase my books through my website or these fine locations:
www.heartsonfirebooks.com
www.amazon.com
www.barnesandnoble.com
www.fictionwise.com

12).  Anything you would like to add?
Thank you so much for having me here today.  I really like to interact with my readers so please stop by my website, read my Writing Tips for Writers Blog, and be sure to sign my guestbook while you’re there.

No comments:

Post a Comment