Thursday, October 22, 2009

Please help us welcome Renee Lyons, author and Publisher of Lyrical Press




1).  Tell us your latest news?
Well, a lot of interesting things have happened since I finished Tempting Darkness, the third Templar Vampire book. My husband, Frank and I decided to open Lyrical Press, a commercial fiction publishing house. It was a huge decision and requires an extreme amount of work, but it’s so worth it. The moment we launched I knew it was right move on our part. I heard my mother in my head telling me “you are exactly where you need to be, doing exactly what you need to be doing”.

I am also working on the final installment of the Templar Vampire series. It’s titled Blood Covenant. It’s Tristan’s story. Once people realize it’s the last book they ask about Raphael and why he isn’t getting his own story. All I can say about that is, you’ll have to read Blood Covenant to learn why!

2).  When and why did you begin writing?
I’ve been writing since I was roughly ten years old. It’s a compulsion. Although I love (and I mean *love*) Lyrical, there is always that part of me who was, and still is, a writer. Just when I think my creative well is dry, a new scene “pops” into my mind and forces me to write.

3).  What books have most influenced your life most?
Just one book always jumps out at me when I think of which one influenced me most. Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet. What a book! It’s so vivid I swear while reading, you forget your not actually in the medieval age. You get lost in the pages of that book.

4).  What are your current projects?
Other than Blood Covenant, I am also (very slowly) working on another book. It’s untitled as of yet. It plays on the angel/demon mythology is a way I feel is pretty original. But then. most of my writing centers around religion in one shape or form. I guess that’s my way of trying to make sense of things in my own mind.

5).  Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
I guess now would be finding the time to write since the majority of my days are spent running Lyrical Press. That, and trying to put unique spins on tried and true genres because what I write (vampire and demons) have been done zillions of times over.



6). Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?
Sherrilyn Kenyon is right up there as one of my favorite authors. She creates these amazing worlds with such rich characters. She makes you want to visit her world again and again.

Hannah Howell is another author who takes hold of you and doesn’t let you go. I just love her to pieces. Three words about Mrs. Howell’s books…medieval Scotland and vampires. Really now. Does any book need more than that other than being in the hands of a writer who can do that sort of story justice? Luckily for readers, Mrs. Howell is an awesome writer. She also happens to be a fantastic person. I met her during my first book signing and was reduced to a babbling idiot. I think I actually screamed “ohmygod! You’re Hannah Howell!” directly in her face. She just smiled, nodded and asked me to sign my book for her. When it comes to my writing career, was the single best moment to date – other than actually getting contracted!


7).  When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
Probably around when I started writing at ten. Creating worlds and characters just always made me happy. It was also something that came pretty natural for me, so in that, I know I was very lucky.

8).  How long does it take you to write a book?
It used to take me no more than three months. Now, with Lyrical Press demanding most of my attention, it takes me much, much longer. I will probably take me about a year to finish Blood Covenant.

9).  What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
Well, it’s pretty much fit it writing when I can at this point. I’m sure by next year things should settle into a more regulated schedule of writing and working the publishing house.
10).  Do you have any strange handwriting habits, like capitalizing all your “r”s or dotting your “I”s with heart (or anything like that)?
I used to make an insanely fancy capital “I” until my mother pointed out it was illegible. Now, I really don’t have any strange habits other than having the most horrendous handwriting in creation. I don’t know if it’s from growing accustomed to using a keyboard all the time or because I have a slight muscular issue with my right arm. Whatever the case, I now scrawl rather than write in anything remotely decent.
11).  What do you want to know about the future?
Without hesitation, what my daughter will grow up to be and if she will be happy doing it. Next would be where we’ll be living in five years because my husband and I want to relocate out of New York.
12).  Are you a morning person or a night person?
I used to be a night person until my daughter was born. Now, I’m forced to be a morning person. I wake up almost every day at 6am, and am already working by 6:15.
13).  Do you like thunderstorms?
When I’m inside, yes. That’s perfect “snuggle” weather. Getting caught out in one? Not so much.
14).  What is the best way for readers to contact you?  Email, myspace, twitter, etc?
At my Lyrical email address :  publisher@lyricalpress.com.
15).  Anything you would like to add?
Only that I’m thrilled you’ve allowed me this opportunity to talk with you. It was a genuine pleasure. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment