Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Today's Author is our own Margie Church



1).  Care to share a short bio with us? 
I’m a native Minnesotan and wouldn’t have it any other way! I’ve been married to the same nice guy for 27 years and we have two great sons.

I’ve been a professional writer for 30 years, working mostly in corporate marketing communications departments. For the past 13 years, I’ve written and edited magazines and books. I freelance feature articles. My first novel, Awakening Allaire, came out in August from Class Act Books and the sequel comes out November 1. I have a children’s book coming out this spring from Guardian Angel Publishing.

In my spare time, I volunteer at church and for the local gun club…hum something strange about that combo, I think. I love to garden and raise roses. I enjoy nighttime winter walks with my pooch, Jewel, to see the Christmas lights. I love to swim and ride my bike with the boys. I have a great sense of humor and love to laugh.

2).  Can you tell us about your latest release and/or past releases?

Awakening Allaire is the first in a series. It’s a sexy, romantic thriller about Allaire West and the very thud-worthy, Devon Mercer. The two meet while arguing with the Stanfield City Council about a new commercial development property. Allie takes an immediate dislike to the handsome Brit with the impeccable manners. Since this is a romance, the two, of course fall in love. Allie’s marriage is ruined because of it and eventually she agrees to live with Devon for the sake of the twins she conceived during their night of forbidden passion.

However just when things are coming together for our couple, Allaire is kidnapped. Two drug-crazed, ex-cons hide her away while they drain the Mercer coffers of $2 million dollars. Despair and drug addiction take over Allaire’s life while she’s in captivity. When her kidnappers leave her for dead, things become very dire. Devon is frantic to find her and is taking care of their twins and trying to hold their life together. Every lead comes up empty but he won’t give up.


3).  Tell us about the heroine and hero of the above books.
Allaire is a cop’s daughter. Her mom died when she was quite young and she has no siblings. Her Grandmother Helene is important to her, as is her father. She’s independent and feisty. Despite her relationship with one of the wealthiest guys in Stanfield (Devon), she’s a working mother. Getting back to her children fuels her desire to live when there’s no hope left. She’s beautiful, funny, and loves Devon with every breath - at least once she stopped being so darn stubborn.


Devon is from London. He’s an Oxford-degreed barrister who comes to America to work in his father’s firm as part of his legal counsel. He’s tall - 6-feet 4-inches, has dark, wavy hair, very athletic build, and hazel eyes. His heart is so fragile in Allaire’s hands and she rakes it through the coals but he won’t give up on their love. He, too, has a great sense of humor and is a wonderful father despite being at the top of Stanfield’s “Most Eligible Bachelor” list. There are some really funny exchanges between Devon and his children in Awakening Allaire and Avenging Allaire.

4).  What inspired this story?
It started with a one-sentence challenge and a maximum word target of 30,000 in a blind fiction contest. Most of my work has been under 10 pages and I was terrified of writing it poorly, especially since the piece would be published on the Internet. Regardless, I dove in and took second place in the contest. When I finished the piece, I realized I only told half the story and that it was really good. I finished it and that became “Awakening Allaire.”

5).  What can we expect from you regarding your future writing?
The sequel, Avenging Allaire, is filled with what I like best in books: SASS: Suspense, Angst, Seductive Sizzle. There were a number of unanswered questions and issues in “Awakening Allaire.” “Avenging Allaire” divulges who was behind Allaire’s kidnapping, where the ransom went, and who is behind all those murders. And by the way, all their problems haven’t cooled the romance between Devon and Allaire one bit. They are still very much in love. The subplots are very interesting. It’s a fast-paced book I think will appeal to men and women.

My children’s book entitled, “First Spring,” will be released this spring from Guardian Angels Publishing. I wrote this rhyming story for one of my children after I watched him experience his first spring after a long, cold, Minnesota winter. I can’t wait to see it illustrated and it’ll be a delightful bedtime story for babies and toddlers.

I’m deep into writing a romantic paranormal. The working title is “Love Bites.” It is the story of a rakishly handsome vampire named Wade Kairos, and an independent businesswoman named Jui Fabrice. There is instant chemistry between these two, but Wade resists being with Jui with everything he’s got. His angst over wanting her but needing to stay away from her is tremendous. A life as a vampire is not something he wants to offer the vibrant American, who by the way, has no idea what he is. Wade takes his frustrations out in some very unique and vivid ways. Jui’s suspicions mount as they keep bumping into each other in the most peculiar places. After spending a sizzling night in each other’s arms Wade leaves her, saying distance means nothing to the soul. However Jui is determined to find out what Wade Kairos’ secret really is.

After I’m finished with Love Bites, I am starting a children’s series. 


5).  Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
I want my readers to keep turning the pages, so making the plot clever and engaging to the very last word is important to me. I want the reader to feel present in the story like a witness.

6). Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?
On the romance side, I’ve always loved Kathleen Woodwiess. I used to devour her books and so many others like hers. They were so vivid and tugged at my heart. She knew how to write longing! I wish Kathleen was still among us.

These days, if I have time to read published work, it’s likely to be John Sanford. Lucas Davenport is a tenacious detective, gruff and smart. I love Davenport’s tender heart he buries so deeply, but every now and then he puts himself out there. Sanford is so good at providing just enough information so you feel like you’re solving the murder right along with Davenport. I also like that Sanford is from the Twin Cities and I know where many of these places are in the books.

7).  When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
I was first published by McCall’s Magazine in the 6th grade. I used to be a disk jockey in high school, and the allure of media always called to me. So, I got into news writing and editing in college and from there worked through corporate ranks in marketing communications roles. Except for choosing my major, I’m not sure I consciously chose to be a writer. I learned quickly, however, that I loved it and have been a professional writer for about 30 years.


8).  How long does it take you to write a book?
That depends on how much real life gets in the way! It seems to take me about six months from start to finish. I do set completion dates for my work.


9).  What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
I also write features for magazines so I do this full time. I usually sign on around 6:30 a.m. and work until lunch. I take an hour break and then write until around 3:00 when the kids come home from school and need attention and homework help. It’s not uncommon to find me working 12-hour days.
10).  Do you have any strange handwriting habits, like capitalizing all your “r”s or dotting your “I”s with heart (or anything like that)?
I changed the script M in my signature.
11).  What do you want to know about the future?
When I draw my first breath in eternal life, I want to know if God will say, “Well done, my child.”
12).  Are you a morning person or a night person?
Morning. Huge coffee cup in hand, but brain is firing on all cylinders.
13).  Do you like thunderstorms?
No, I don’t like loud noises and we live in a “tornado alley” so thunderstorms frequently bring damage.
14).  What is the best way for readers to contact you?  Email, myspace, twitter, etc?
Website : www.site.romancewithsass.com
Blog : http://blog.romancewithsass.com
Facebook : www.facebook.com/margie.church
Twitter : MargaretRChurch
Email : margie_church@yahoo.com
15).  Anything you would like to add?
Thank you so much, Bella, for providing this forum for authors. It is incredibly valuable to us. Promoting our books is very time consuming but necessary and to have such a friendly, open forum to do so is a real pleasure.




 





2 comments:

  1. Hi Margie:
    If Avenging Allaire is near Awakening Allaire, it's sure to be a bestseller.

    Hi Mistress Bella:
    Well-done interview and I love your site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Carol. Much appreciate the support. And yes, this site is really great. Please join in.

    ReplyDelete