Monday, October 19, 2009

Today's Special Guest is Barbara Edwards



1)     First, could you start by telling us about your current release?
Ancient Awakening is a paranormal romance. In Ancient Awakening, Police Officer ‘Mel’ Petersen investigates a death only she believes is murder. By disobeying direct orders from the Rhodes End Chief, she risks her career to follow clues that twist in circles to her backyard and lead the killer to her.
Her neighbor Stephen Zoriak is a prime suspect. Steve worked for a major pharmaceutical company where he discovered a weapon so dangerous he destroys the research. He is exposed to the dangerous organism. He suspects he is the killer and agrees to help her find the truth.
In the course of their investigation Mel and Steve find the real killer and a love that defies death.

2) Could you please tell us a little about yourself? I’m a native New Englander with a love for history, antique roses and travel. This past summer we visited Yellowstone National Park and the Grand Canyon, a trip I’ve dreamed about for a long time. My husband, a retired police sergeant, and I are restoring a Gothic Victorian built in 1872. Please don’t picture a mansion: its two bedrooms with a wonderful wraparound porch decorated with gingerbread.


3) Give us a sneak peak into your current release.
 Excerpt from Ancient Awakening:
“Don’t touch me, Mel, not unless you’re willing to do a lot more,” he warned as her hazel eyes flared golden.
“Don’t threaten me, Steve. You’re…”
He pulled her into his arms despite the alarm bells clanging in his head.
Danger! Danger! Danger!
Her widened eyes met his. Mel’s hands were trapped against his chest, but she didn’t push him away. Instead, her fingers curled into his shirt.
Her mistake. His mistake was to crush her mouth under his.
Mel’s soft lips parted. Need exploded. The taste of black coffee didn’t hide her sweet flavor. As her tongue tangled with his, her arms slid around his neck and her fingers burrowed through his hair.
Steve hungered to peel the starched shirt off her soft shoulders, lay her on the thick turf and ease his desire. He tasted her brows, her cheek, along her throat, seeking the source of her call. Her pulse whipped under his mouth, awakening another need.
His teeth gently closed on the vulnerable vein.
He wanted, wanted, wanted…
Cold alarm chilled his pounding blood.
Steve gasped for air. He’d forgotten his own ironclad rule. Mel’s eyelids flittered open to reveal the molten glow of desire but he forced himself free.
He had no right to touch any woman. Not until he knew he hadn’t become what he had set out to destroy.

4) Tell us about your writing process.  Do you outline or just start writing?
Like many writers I write without an outline. I do know the beginning and the end before I start. It’s how my mind works. I dream about the story and when I wake, immediately record the details. I have a file with all my proposed projects and a second folder full of research material for each one. Since Ancient Awakening is the first book in Finding Rhosdes End series, I also keep a detail bible. 

5) What genre is your favorite to write?  Read? As you can tell by my website, I’ve written historical romance and romantic suspense before paranormal romance, but I think I’ve found my niche. I love creating all the haunting details and dark secrets. I read almost everything when I have time.

6) Favorite authors? I love Jayne Anne Krentz, JD Robb, Linda Howard, Anne Stuart, Elizabeth Lowell, I don’t hink this is long enough to list them all.



7) Is there a genre you haven't written, but would love to tackle in the future?
 Not any more. I really like what I’m doing with this series. I might go back and write more historical romance if an idea really grabs me.

8) What's planned next for your writing career? I’m working on the second book in the Finding Rhodes End series, although that makes it sound too simple. I also have the third and fourth in the works. All are set in New England, all centered in Rhodes End.


9) Do you work well with deadlines?  Or do they stall your writing process?
I love deadlines since I tend to fritter time away if I’m not under pressure. They keep me sharp and focused.

10) When did you first start writing? I don’t remember. I had a diary when I was young, wrote lots of stuff I later threw away as worthless, then tried poetry, essays, and finally books. I still have my poetry. Every once in awhile I think about posting it to my blog.


11) What influenced you to submit your work for publication?
I always wanted to tell my stories to people. The only way to do that is to publish. When I joined RWA, I thought I’d get published within a few months. I realized I didn’t know enough and set out to learn. You need to be tenacious to finish a book that someone else will take a chance on.

12) What gets you in the writing mood?  Music, reading, etc.
Nothing. I either am or not. Despite that, I write every day. It’s too easy to say I don’t have it today. Then time passes and nothing gets written. Some of my most productive days are when I didn’t ‘feel’ like writing.

13) Do you belong to a critique group?  If so, how has this helped your writing, would you recommend it to others?  If not, would you consider joining, if not, why do you like to work alone?
I had a critique group when I lived in Florida (Connie and Tina, I love you both) but haven’t found anyone to replace them since I moved back to New England. I think Its really important to find the right kind of critique group. Without them, I wouldn’t have finished that first book I published.


14) What is the best way for readers to contact you?




15) Any advice you want to give aspiring writers?
The only way to become published is to write. Find what works for you, write what you love and don’t give up.
I have a personal story about quitting. Several years ago, I went through a very dry spell: nothing worked, I didn’t sell, I had personal problems, all in all a discouraging time. I decided I couldn’t do this any more. That day I was puzzled when I received a rejection letter. I looked at the return address and couldn’t remember sending out a submission. To my surprise it was something I’d submitted TWO years before. I started to laugh and realized it didn’t make any difference who bought my work. I can’t quit. I am a writer, its who I am as well as what I do.


No comments:

Post a Comment