Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Today We Greet Author Olivia Starke



1).  Tell us your latest news?

 I am thrilled that my first release Mind Games is out at Cobblestone Press! It’s a paranormal Tryst (short story.)
www.cobblestone-press.com/catalog/books/mindgames.htm

2).  When and why did you begin writing?

I’ve been writing since I could lift a crayon. I was very artistic in my toddler stage. Lucky for me we had a white house and I drew murals and what letters of the alphabet I could pen along the side of the house one day. I also did so on whatever wall surface I could, my folks (try as they might) couldn’t inhibit my creative spirit!

About a year ago I decided to leave the world of real estate behind (I was a realtor) and pick up my laptop to give writing a shot. Originally it was to rewrite a children’s book I wrote in 7th grade involving a love story between a unicorn and Pegasus. I ran across an online class given by Lori Wilde about how to write romance. I’ve been a closet romance reader for years and love happily ever after endings. The class was great and I got the bug J and I’ve come out of the reading closet as well.

3).  What books have most influenced your life most?

I can’t think of a particular one. I absolutely love the classics such as War and Peace and my favorite book is The Jungle by Upton Sinclair. The characters are living and breathing on the pages and I wish to become even a quarter of the writers they were.

4).  What are your current projects?

I’m working on a series of vampire short stories.

5).  Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?

Trying to get friends and family to understand IT’S A CAREER. I don’t sit around all day watching television! I spend about three hours as soon as I get up working on promoting my story and myself as an author. I fit in my other obligations for the day such as walking my four dogs, taking my disabled mother on her errands, caring for my 4 horses, etc. In the evenings I write. I have friends and family with 9-5 jobs who think I can pick up errands for them they don’t have time for, which I simply can’t do. It’s frustrating at times trying to set boundaries.


6). Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

The Jungle by Upton Sinclair and Heather Grahams works J She has a great knack of mixing mystery and romance.
7).  Do you have any strange handwriting habits, like capitalizing all your “r”s or dotting your “I”s with heart (or anything like that)?
8).  What do you want to know about the future?
How successful I’ll be! But I guess you’re as successful as you decide to be.
9).  Are you a morning person or a night person?
Night person all the way, it’s the only time my brain functions to write. My creativity simple won’t flow in the mornings.
10).  Do you like thunderstorms?
Happy little thunderstorms, yes. Tornadoes NO! I live in southern Missouri which is part of tornado ally, and it puts a damper on the thrill of spring and early summer.
11).  What is the best way for readers to contact you?  Email, myspace, twitter, etc?
I’d love to hear from readers and other authors !
www.oliviastarke.webs.com  www.twitter.com/romancingthepen romancingthepentoday.blogspot.com  oliviastarke@ymail.com I’m on Facebook as well look for Olivia Starke !
12).  Anything you would like to add?
Anyone who has ever wanted to give writing a shot I encourage them to do so! There are so many opportunities out there now with e-publishers for writer’s just starting out. Also, I believe the world needs more Happily-Ever-After and romance always offers that J


No comments:

Post a Comment